Pages

Saturday 18 February 2017

The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Steven Baxter


I accidentally started this book last year, while I was supposed to be reading something else, but only got a hundred or so pages in. I finally got back to it late last month, so that I could make a real decision on whether or not to buy the second book.

And my decision is... I won't. That's not to say that I didn't like The Long Earth. I actually did, although there were definitely more than a few things that annoyed me. I ranted about Joshua's lack of common sense in my GoodReads review (seriously, who doesn't comprehend that unexplored oceans aren't great places to take a dip in?!), and there were a few more minor things that bothered me, but on the whole I thought it was a compelling and interesting read. I liked all the world-building, although I didn't really appreciate the novel's focus on what the long earth could be for - that felt too much like the novelists imposing their own thoughts and need to inject a moral onto the world they created, and not at all like the kind of question I would be having if I found out there were multiple other worlds to skip off into. And I mostly enjoyed the different characters. I've realised that I like a good slow-burner, although the action in the end could have perhaps done with a more subtle build up. All in all, I really enjoyed reading The Long Earth - but it has nothing that could tempt me into continuing the series.

This book counts towards the Mount TBR reading challenge.

No comments: