Pages

Wednesday 1 February 2017

Book haul and reading update!

And now, to write this blog in reverse!

I have up to this point finished five books this year. Two I have reviewed here (Stand Still Stay Silent and The Rental Heart and Other Fairytales), the other three will be coming up sooner or later, so sit tight!

My pace has been slowed down considerably by my current commute book, The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks. I'm really enjoying it, but it's a slow, sloow read. I have also (entirely accidentally) started reading the first book in Cornelia Funke's 'Reckless' series, Steinernes Fleisch/The Petrified Flesh and Robin Stevens' Murder Most Unladylike.

This allows me to segway quite neatly into the second part of this post and first part of this post title...

Book haul!

So I've bought eleven books this year (already!) and have also received a book from a friend in France.

The first book I bought was the aforementioned Murder Most Unladylike. I think I first came across it when a friend read and reviewed it. It seemed charming - I like early 20th century boarding school stories - and I thought I would enjoy the mystery, too. Well, I started reading (and skipped ahead to the end, because I'm a fool and a sucker for spoilers) and I feel like this book will prove me right. I look forward to taking it up in earnest!

This actually quite inconveniently brings me to my second book. Inconvenient, because I forgot about it. Oops! So, this makes book number twelve, which is actually the first book I bought this year. But maybe I get a reprise because this makes me fit in perfectly with the theme of the book. Tid: Livet är inte kronologiskt (Time: Life isn't chronological) does pretty much what it says on the tin. It collects the musings and thoughts of Alex Schulman and Sigge Eklund on time, and our place in it. This is the first Swedish book of the year - a title I thought would go to the third and final book of the Engelfors series, Nyckeln. Writing this now makes it hard for me to believe that around this time last year I was completing my first full book in Swedish - Mio, min Mio by Astrid Lindgren. Of course, I'd probably read the equivalent of that book several times over before then, what with my (as yet, unwon) battle against one of my favourite books of all time, John Ajvide Lindqvists Let the Right One In but that aside, I have since read seven books and started a further five. It's not the hugest achievement, but I'm proud.

Back to the (false) sense of a chronology with the book I bought at the same time as Murder..., Matter by Ian M. Banks. I have been interested in Banks' culture series since reading the first two Imperial Radch books and hearing that readers equally enamoured with them had also enjoyed these. I wanted to start at the start - that is, with Consider Phlebus, but this came onto the shelves at the bookshop where I work and I accidentally started reading it to see if I liked it and anyway, see above: chronology is an ideal imposed upon us, and isn't it really time we broke free? I'm not good at chronology anyway. And this series understands that. As said, I read the first few lines and the book had me, hook, line and sinker.


This next is one of a whole gamut of books, bought on a buying spree at work. At the close of last year and the start of this I read C. S. Lewis' A Grief Observed. The review is forthcoming here, but a quick spoiler: I loved it. I had noticed Grief is the thing with Feathers naturally, because it was plastered all over the London Underground for such a long time at the time of it's publication. Then my boss bought it, which made me want to buy it. I know, I have a problem. Then I found it in the shop, one of the volunteers mentioned that he loved it, I have no regard for my TBR and now it is mine. I'm looking forward to it. I am trying - fairly successfully - not to align it too closely with A Grief Observed. They are not at all the same kind of thing. But I do think I'll enjoy it and I am (ambitiously?) hoping to have read it by this time next week.

From here to Ice by Finnish Swede (Swedish Finn?) Ulla-Lena Lundberg. I noticed this book when it came out in English translation last year and found myself drawn to it. On to my 'to remember' it went, and I told my boyfriend about it. We happened to find it in Swedish in Malmö city library, and even managed to read a bit of it together, but I sadly didn't get very far. My boyfriend was impressed with her writing style, and I'm always for a non-Noir Nordic hit. I'm hoping this book will have a slow pace - I'm expecting something fairly gentle and very honest in itself. It's lower on my reading priorities than all of the above, but it's so gorgeous.



Goodreads reliably informs me that The Gone-Away World made it onto my radar and my reading list until 2015, where it sat, forgotten, for about a year. I came across it again on one of my regular, but mostly unsuccessful, TBR streamlining attempts. I thought it would be an easy one to cross off: I couldn't remember quite why I had popped it onto my list and the blurb didn't really capture me. But I'm mostly fair, and so I downloaded a sample from Amazon, started reading and wait, no, why is it finishing, I'm not ready I want more and I want it now!
So yeah. That's the story of Lily and The Gone-Away World. I was massively happy when it came up at the bookshop, and added it to my pile immediately.
(The downside is now I'm terrified of reading it, in case I don't love it as much as I think I will.)

Wool by Hugh Howey. I don't know why I added Wool. I don't know when I added Wool. I don't remember anything at all about Wool. My mum joked about me falling for it because of the title - I'm a knitter, in case anyone forgot - and we giggled but actually that's as good a suggestion as any other. I have absolutely no clue what to expect, and it's low on my priorities list. So probably I'll have read it this time next week.






We got a donation from a review which included this gem. This book has been on my list more or less since it came out. It's a gem of a book, physically, and I also am excited to get something a little less than standard in my reading diet. REPRESENT.
(Literally).







Do I even need to talk about this book? Probably not. It's been on my TBR for a gentle age or two. Everyone ever seems to love it, and I want to love it, too. I think I would have preferred A Monster Calls to be my first book from Patrick Ness, but I'm certainly not complaining. This is another book that I'm almost scared to read, just because I want so desperately for it to live up to my expectations.






I'm a sucker for all things Scott Westerfeld. Fun fact: I spent (and still spend) a good portion of time thinking his surname is Westerfield. Thankfully I caught that one from the off this time round. I had been holding off on buying this book because I still hadn't finished reading Afterworlds, which I bought last year. (For the interested, I'd been holding off on finishing that because I still hadn't finished reading whichever inordinate number of books that I hadn't finished reading from the year before, which I was holding off on reading because... you get the picture). But then I remembered that life is far too short not to buy all of the books you've ever wanted. Also, I read the first chapter and I am way more excited for this than I was for Afterworlds. Problem: solved.


And so we are bought to the large book of this spree - although not the large book of this post. Please do bear with me just a little longer...
I have wanted this book since it came out. Unfortunately, at that time I was a poor student and couldn't buy it. I did what any poor student would do, and got a friend to buy it so that I could borrow it. Except then it got leant to another friend instead, who took it to Germany for a year and then I don't even know where it went. This was coming up to three years ago, now, for a little context. Probably everyone who ever lived or breathed has read and loved this book now - save me. Don't worry, I'll join you all soon. (Just - after I read all the other books, first!)


The above haul happened yesterday. The next two books happened today. The first is Joanne M. Harris' Gospel of Loki. Norse mythology has had a hold on me since American Gods and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I've never actually read any Harris before, although of course I'd seen the film of Chocolat and I also enjoyed following her on Twitter. This is the book that made me really want to give her a chance. Norse gods, yes please! Plus, I heard that she learnt Icelandic for this book. Once again: Hook, line and sinker.





Finally, this beauty. Hands up who thought my Ann Leckie obsession was a thing of last year? You were so, so wrong. I've read the first two books a few times each now, and will read the third when I come to terms with it a bit more. I will probably also read the short stories again a few times. I want so badly to go back into her worlds.
I went back to Tours late last year and, predictably, we went to a bookshop. I looked around for a couple of books which I wanted, but couldn't find. Then, as if in dream, I thought to look for this...
It was love at first sight. I think this cover design is gorgeous, I couldn't bear the thought of going through life without it. Sadly, my pocket couldn't bear the thought of going through the doors with it. Enter stage left: my angel of an ex-roommate. She bought it for me in December but couldn't send it to me until this month - which is more than I had been expecting. It is now sitting proudly on my bed, waiting for the moment I can come back to its loving embrace...

So, this post took a long time but I'm finally through to the other side. I have one more book on my 'currently reading' that I want to get through before I start any of these in earnest - The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter. But you can expect a lit corner and general reading update before then, methinks.

Here's hoping for February! All the best for you all, and your challenges!

Little Newman.

(PS. This month I've started going at Finnish in earnest. I have a dream that, by the close of this year, I'll be able to read stumble through a Finnish book in Finnish!)

No comments: